I don’t love Handel.
But i think this piece represents how i feel Holy Thursday is.
Taken from The Messiah, is as close to an Oratorio as Handel ever wrote.
Yet this movement, He shall feed his flock, summarises so much of today’s liturgy:
- string driven- stready support – strong faith.
- title remeniscent of the Last Supper symbolism.
- pastoral, in its 12/8 metre – caretaker…
- ternary – representing return to this week
- F major…passing with anguished B section through G minor…where he carries the weight of our burdens , before returning soon to F Major.
- No coloratura gestures- undestated, humble….
- a fitting Holy Thursday summary.
so with or without Faith…
enjoy your moment!